The B.C. Employer Training Grant (ETG) supports skills training to address provincial labour market needs. The program is delivered by the Province of British Columbia and is funded by the Government of Canada through the Workforce Development Agreement (WDA).
The Province strives to build a strong, sustainable, innovative economy with a focus on reducing poverty and inequality. We are working to create good-paying jobs for British Columbians while ensuring people from every background can reach their full potential.
Jobs continue to change and evolve. For example, some will become more complicated because of innovation and changes in technology. Many workers across the province will likely be affected by automation in some way. Some jobs will involve tasks that are not yet invented.
As a result, it will be key for those in the labour force to adapt to changing job requirements and to learn new skills and competencies. Employers need to play a critical role in providing opportunities for people to do this.
The goal of the ETG is to help British Columbians access the skills training they need to adapt to the changing requirements of jobs and the labour market while encouraging employer involvement in the training of their employees.
Employers are eligible to receive up to $300,000 per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31). Participants are not to pay for training or any training-related expenses. All costs are to be paid for in full by the employer. Receipts must verify this information.
- All private and non-profit employers operating in B.C.
- Unions and First Nations governments, including Indigenous band councils
- Employers must have a job for the participant at their company once training is completed
- Employers must submit their application on their own behalf, using their Business BCeID (third parties cannot apply on an employer’s behalf)
- Employers must be registered on the Corporate Registry with B.C. Registry Services for at least one year at the time of application
- The Ministry must be satisfied that the employer has been fully operational for at least one year at the time of application
- Employers must be in good standing with the Province
Please refer to the Eligibility Criteria for a complete list of eligibility requirements.
There are three streams under which employers can apply, based on the type of skills training needed.
Stream 1: Foundational Training Stream
This stream supports unemployed, underemployed and low-skilled British Columbians to gain the essential, transferable and certified skills to increase their job security and obtain good-paying jobs. Industry or sector certification, apprenticeship and trades training, early childhood education certification, and accredited essential skills training fall under this category.
Applications approved under this stream will receive 100 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant. No contribution is required from the employer, but employers must have a job for the participant at their company once training is completed.
Stream 2: Technical Training Stream
This stream supports employers to train current or new employees in technical skills in response to automation and technological advancements, such as new software, technology or machinery; or training needed for the successful adoption of new technological systems, including new manufacturing, production and construction methods.
Applications approved under this stream will receive 80 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant. The employer is required to contribute the remaining 20 percent and employers must have a job for the participant at their company once training is completed.
Stream 3: Workforce Training Stream
This stream is designed to support any training that aligns with an employer’s business needs, including the development of management, business and soft skills.
Applications approved under this stream will receive 60 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $5,000 per participant. The employer is required to contribute the remaining 40 percent and employers must have a job for the participant at their company once training is completed.
The resource document Choosing the Right Stream is available to assist you in your stream selection.