Do you have a disability and want to be a part of the workforce? KES has specialized employment services to help. Individualized job search assistance, wage subsidies, workplace disability accommodation, customized employment, job development, job coaching and work experiences are examples of things KES can do to assist you and your employer. Perhaps starting your own small business is a better solution for you. KES can help with that too.
Contact Kootenay Employment Services Society to make an appointment with a specialized employment counsellor. We provide job search assistance and job placement by matching your skills and abilities with the needs of employers. We will assist you with the development of your own professional resume, interview tips, job leads and support you in contacting and working with employers. The need for job coaching support and technical aids can be discussed with the KES employment specialist.
“I highly recommend KES to people who are finding it difficult finding work.” – Darren G.
Our professional staff are available to help you to develop an action plan to get you where you want to go. As a WorkBC Service Centre, we offer many services to assist you including access to computers, needs and skills assessments, job search assistance and more.
KES can help you find and obtain the right assistive technologies or suitable workplace accommodations. Make an appointment with a KES employment specialist today!
- abilityhub.org (US site)
- aroga.com (BC)
- at-bc.ca Assistive Technology BC
- bcits.org BC Association for Individualized Technology and Supports
- assistive-technology.ca GF Strong Rehab Centre
Financial assistance may be available to help you gain the skills you need to enter the workforce. A KES employment specialist can assist you with your educational goals.
- Canadian Centre on Disabilities Studies
- Disability Resource Network of BC
- sdsi.gov.bc.ca Provincial Government website
- BC Aboriginal Network on Disability Society
- BC Housing
- BC Mental Health and Addiction Services
- BC Mental Health Works
- BC Paraplegic Association
- BC Schizophrenia Society
- Canucks Autism Network
- Community Living British Columbia
- Disability Foundation
- Mainstream Association for Proactive Community Living
- SPARC BC
- The John Howard Society
- YWCA Canada
- sci-bc.ca Spinal Cord Injury BC
- neilsquire.ca Neil Squire Society
- Seeing Caucus (for people with visual impairments) | Betty Nobel email@example.com
- widhh.com Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing:
Kootenay Employment Services can assist by providing;
- Job matching services – we match the person to the right job
- A comprehensive analysis of tasks performed in certain employment positions
- Support in hiring, training and keeping an employee with a disability
Common workplace accommodations:
- Adjusted work schedule to address disability needs
- Ergonomic work stations and keyboards
- Ergonomic chairs specific to each employee
- Assistive technology eg. book holder, large print resources, voice activated software
- Modifications to the workplace eg. wheelchair ramps
- askjan.org JOB ACCOMMODATION NETWORK
1-800-526-7234 (Toll free)
Job accommodation solutions for employers, job seekers and service providers
- www.tetrasociety.org job accommodation solutions from volunteer engineers
A video message for employers…
Ask for an appointment with a KES employment specialist to find out more.
KES houses an adaptive computer station equipped with a wide range of software and hardware for persons with mobility, visual, hearing and learning disabilities including; height adjustable computer table and chair; ergonomic mouse; screen magnification with voice; large button keyboard; headset; and a video magnifier to read or listen to print material.